Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 25 - Fredericksburg to San Antonio







Clear, cold and windy this morning. Sustained winds of 18 mph and gusts up to 29 at the airport next door. A little nervous about pulling the trailer but want to get closer to San Antonio and somewhere with WIFI. I plot a course which will take me through the world famous town of Luckenbach.

For a couple miles at the beginning of the trip I was on a 4 lane road with a speed limit of 70. The winds were pushing me but as long as I paid attention it was not difficult to overcome.
In order to check out Luchenbach the route turned off the four lane road onto a smaller 2 lane road with a 60 mph speed limit and very little traffic. I don’t think I’ve had anyone tailgate me in Texas yet and the trucks today were no different. I’m more comfortable letting my speed vary drastically going up steep hills when someone is not right behind me. It was a great drive. A few miles down was Luchenbach. It’s pretty much a couple buildings down by the river at a wide spot in the road made famous by Willie Nelson & Waylon Jennings. Not much was happening at noon on a Thursday.

Shortly thereafter, I turned off onto small, paved and striped county road. It was posted at 35 mph and had animal grates with signs stating “Loose Livestock”. The road was incredible - winding up and down along the side of the Guadeloupe River amongst ranches. There were deer grazing beneath the trees everywhere.
The road was hilly, not the smoothest, and definitely had some dips as well as cattle guards every quarter mile or so. With NO traffic but me, my sightseeing of the awesomeness and considering my demanding schedule I was going between 15 and 20 mph most of the way, occasionally slower. Shortly we came to a one lane bridge sign. The bridge didn’t come into view until rounding a corner into a drop-off towards a stream. When I saw the bridge I was in awe. It was a narrow one lane, had a cattle grate in the center, small curbs on either side and was close to the water. A lot runs through your mind with something like that in front of you but I slowed down and went for it, rolled slowly across and up the other side. What a great road was all that was going through my mind. It was less than 10 miles and after about 3 or four I did see a little traffic – one pick up with a farm trailer and a UPS truck. Came across a second one lane bridge a few miles later but this section of the road seemed to be more regularly traveled so it was more of a substantial structure.

Pulled into the next campground and found it to be appropriately named “Top of the Hill Park”. It’s a few miles outside the city but we’ll drive in tomorrow. Nice folks got me checked and we got setup. Spent the afternoon picking out pictures and finally updating the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment