Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 15 - Beaumont to College Station




To avoid Houston and see some sights, I headed north toward the Big Thicket National Wildlife Preserve. Met some nice people at the visitor’s center including a metal art professor and two friends who were just heading out for an overnight backpacking trip. I considered going along (I have my gear) but the trip was 15 miles in two days, which I’m afraid would be too much for Sunny. We walked the first part of the trail into the thicket with them before taking the loop back to the parking lot.

Travels went well and it was interesting to get into hills that were more substantial than a man made bridge rising over a river. Called the park I was hoping to stay at and discovered they were full. Asked for a recommendation of another place, called there and reserved a space. Arrived about 5:30 and checked in without seeing anyone, just using and envelope and drop box. The park appears to be mostly permanent residents and they put me in a pace that was only about 25 feet long so the truck has to go along side the trailer once in place. Neighbors were not around until late in the evening and pretty much kept to themselves

No comments:

Post a Comment