Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 12 - Morgan City to St. Martinsville







Up early and it was a bit chilly but nice for a early morning stroll. The sunrise over the lake was beautiful. I had heard about a 106’ tall bell tower nearby on the lakeshore so went and found it. Very interesting history. They have pictures of both the bell tower construction in progress as well as the bells themselves being cast. Talking with the host at the visitor’s center, I learned that they have no one who knows how to play the bells anymore so they only play pre-recorded rings now.

After leaving the bell tower, I swung through downtown to fuel up. Got back and packed up to get on the road.

The route I chose to travel is one which is listed in a book my brother gave me before the trip called 120 scenic drives in America. The road basically followed the Bayou and many large old homes were visible along the way.
I arrived in St. Martinsville and had trouble finding the campground so I called. I looked at the map and needed to turn around. Unfortunately I was on fairly narrow roads with open ditches and short drive culverts. I drove a little ways until I found a slightly wider drive in an area with good sight distance and threw it in reverse in an attempt to push the trailer into the drive and turn around. I was able to do it without incident and made our way to the campground. The place is not only a campground but a fishing pond which they stock with catfish.
After setting up, I met a neighbor and took sunny for a walk. Word had it that no gators had been seen in over a year around the ponds. After walking about halfway around the ponds, Sunny wanted to swim. The banks were too steep and we were in the area where people fish so I wouldn’t let her. We walked some more and came upon a pond with shallower banks she could walk out so I let her jump in. She proceeded to swim along the shore probably 50’, then headed towards the middle of the pond, then back towards me and along the bank again before finally getting out. She hasn’t swum like that in several years! When we got back to the camp she was acting like a dog 5 years younger, playing and dancing around. It was great to see.
I had received a recommendation for dinner and Cajun music at a place called Mulate’s in Beaux Bridge. It was very interesting to see the large, family style tables and people gathered for dinner. Shortly after arriving the band started and immediately a couple was on the dance floor two stepping. A few more songs and the dance floor was packed. Of course I don’t think there was a hair on the floor that wasn’t white but there were younger people in the place and suspect that as the hour gets later the more experienced folks head out and the younger crowd takes over. It’s obviously a very family oriented culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment