Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 20 - Austin



Cold rain 1”, Big rain and wind storm rolled in about 6 am. Decided to take advantage of the wet morning and get some laundry done. Was slightly surprised when halfway through getting the laundry started I discovered someone sleeping under the back counter in the laundry room. Towards the end of the loads another guy was waking up the sleeper. They are students in Dallas camping for SXSW and got water in their tent during the storm so he escaped to the warmth of the building.

Spent some time researching my upcoming route and next steps. I heard there were gusts up to 39 MPG here today and it’s predicted to be still be windy tomorrow so I’m not going to go very far but want to get on down the road.

One of my trip planning tools (which I may have previously mentioned) is a book my brother sent me before I left. It’s “120 Scenic Drives In America” by Readers Digest. I have already driven portions of several of the routes and there is another from Austin to San Antonio.

Another site I checked up on, being in Texas and all, was "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Turns out the place I ate last night, Hill's Cafe, was on it. Another was a place I was already considering for dinner tonight called the Magnolia Café. Seemded like it was meant to be so I headed there. The atmosphere was nothing special but the shrimp enchiladas in corn tortillas were pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment