Friday, March 12, 2010

March 5 - Biloxi to New Orleans








Sunny seems fine today and is walking basically normally. Got on the road heading west on highway 90 which took me through Gulfport Mississippi, and along the Gulf Coast. Miles of beaches. Rolled into Louisiana and was unhappily surprised that the roads are extremely rough in south Louisiana.

Stopped at Fort Pike near the mouth of Lake Pontchartrain, to see a very old and historic site. An unusual feature is the fort has a moat. The Seminole Indians, when forcibly removed from Florida, were once held here while en-route to Indian Territory to the west.

Got through New Orleans traffic alright, crossed the Mississippi river and arrived at Bayou Segnette State Park. Registered, got set up then cleaned up and drove into the French Quarter to get dinner and wander around. It was about 7 pm when I got near my destination.

A couple blocks from the restaurant parking was backed up so I pulled into a parking structure where I was, knowing it was maybe a little farther from the action than I may should have been.

I went ahead and grabbed a spot at the bar in Deannie’s, had a great fried seafood dinner with a cold mug of Abita Amber ale then went for a walk in the French Quarter. Lots of people having fun. After strolling around, taking in the sights and talking with party goers, I headed back towards the truck.

A couple blocks from the parking structure the street became deserted except for a middle aged 'gentleman' carrying a bucket with window cleaning supplies. He was walking just ahead and a little slower than me so as I got along side I initiated a conversation and we chatted for a half block or so. As we were crossing the next street, walking side by side about 5 feet apart, we were suddenly split by a car which whipped onto the street we were crossing. We had to literally jump out of the way to keep from getting hit. I jumped forward, across the street in the direction I was heading so as my window washer ‘friend’ began screaming at and berating the driver, I swiftly made my way on down the block to the parking structure. As far as I know, nothing became of it and I made it back to the campground without further incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment