Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 11 - Morgan City






Walked sunny in the morning. Started talking with the neighbor when we returned. Shortly thereafter her husband got back from checking his lines with two big baskets full of catfish. The proceeded to skin and fillet the live fish, cleaned and rinsed the meat, showed me how they batter the fish with mustard, salt pepper and fish fry and cooked up a big batch. I can honestly say it’s been a long time since I’ve eaten fish that fresh. Since the fish were only filleted, some of them wer literally still breathing in the bucket while we were eating it. Talk about tasty. After packaging the remaining fish, they gave me 5 half pound packs for the freezer.


In the afternoon I went to the Rig Museum. It is the actual first offshore drilling platform which is now in the water on the bank of Morgan City. The rig is named Mr. Charlie and was fascinating. It is now a school as well. Students can come and live on the platform while taking classes in order to get a feel for the lifestyle, before being ‘trapped’ off shore. The guy that bought the rig in 1993 was my tour guide and is also a civil engineer. It was a fascinating tour.

The town is protected from flood waters by what is known as the great wall. It’s a 21 foot high flood wall running along onside of Main Street. They put a walkway along the top where great views of the river and town are available. Several movies have been filmed in town, most recently scenes from the Curious Case of Benjamin Button.


After grabbing some groceries I discovered I had locked my keys in the truck along with Sunny. No problem, I’ll just call Onstar. I’ve only used it once in the past three years but it worked as advertised. When I spoke with the Onstar representative, they could not communicate with my truck and therefore wanted to send roadside assistance to unlock. A few minutes I received the automated call from roadside assistance indicating the locksmith would be there in 3 hours and 25 minutes! I understand I’m in southern Louisiana, but over three hours? The passenger side window was cracked so I kept trying different items to lift the door lock. Finally, I got a pry bar with a hook on the end which I was able to open the lock with and get on the road.


When I got back to the campground, the neighbor was pulling back in from checking his lines again and hollered for me to come over if I wanted to see a big catfish. Well he had one and it was 42” long and weighed 45 pounds. It was the biggest I’ve seen in person and interesting to see him bleed and fillet it all while hanging from a tree. I’m sure I’ve never seen a fish big enough that it needed to be hung to be filleted.


The evening cooled down just enough to windows open at night. Sunny and I both slept great.

No comments:

Post a Comment