Sunday, April 11, 2010

March 26 – San Antonio






Headed to San Antonio today to check out the Alamo and riverwalk. My campground is about 45 minutes north of town so I went south on US 10 into town. The Alamo is in the heart of San Antonio so we took a couple highway interchanges and then GPS got me right in front of the Alamo. I found a pay parking spot close by and walked to the fort. There were a lot of people there touring.
The plaza is nice and what remains of the fort and courtyards have been well preserved and are very nice gardens. I spent maybe an hour walking through the buildings and grounds before heading down the street to explore some of the Riverwalk. I was somewhat surprised to find that, unlike Austin’s parks along the river, this is basically a sunken sidewalk running along both sides with a few bars and restaurants accessible from the walk. It is unique and I can see how a lot of fun could be had there with the right crowd. There are water taxis running up and down the river which you can catch a ride on or tour from.
Beyond the river walk I found Main Square where the courthouse and San Fernando Cathedral are located. With an exploring attitude I wandered into the Cathedral to be surprised by a tomb just inside the door. It was the remains of Davie Crocket, Jim Bowie, and Truman laid to rest right in front of me. Quite a bonus for just exploring!
After the cathedral, I debated heading to some of the NPS Missions south of downtown but having my fill of history and traffic for the day I headed back to do some trip planning. Made plans for the next few days and took Sunny on a sunset drive back on the small road we came in on yesterday as well as down a couple side roads to see what we could find. Beautiful country that’s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment