Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 4 – Davis Mountains





Up early and caught the sunrise coming over the mountain into the camp. Ran into one guy complaining that the doves woke him up with all there hoo hoo’ing. There were a lot of them. Several deer were walking around this morning. Being lazy with limited plans for the day I pulled out a book and sat down outside to read. A deer walked out of the wash and across the road to my campsite about 35 feet away. A while later, while sitting at the camp near the trailer, another deer walked behind the trailer and I was a little startled to see it round the corner not 10 feet away. I had my camera so was able to snap a couple quick pictures while the deer stayed on track and walked past. Sunny was sitting beside me licking herself and didn’t have any idea the deer walked past.

There’s no cell phone service in the campsite so I went into town to make some calls and check for WIFI at the library. Took a scenic drive with Sunny then headed back for the afternoon. Late evening drove back up to the scenic overlook at the camp to use the phone. Met some more nice folks and headed back to camp. Nearing sunset, Sunny and I walked around the campground. The temperature is strange, it’s very hot until the sun drops then it gets cold FAST. We saw 12 javelina while walking around.

Back at our site, just before dark, I looked across the wash and watched a coyote come out of the camp area and trot up the wash away from us. I tried to get a picture but it was too dark. An hour so later I went out to test my star party lessons and was shocked at the deafening silence. There were no bugs or crickets chirping at all. Tons of stars visible again.

No comments:

Post a Comment