Sunday, April 11, 2010

March 30 - South Llano River State Park





Slept in till almost 8:30! Nice and quite I guess. Ran out and got gas before hooking up the trailer and taking off. Stopped in town for a propane tank refill then it was only about a 15 minute drive to the South Llano rover State Park known for its turkey roosting habitat.
Got a nice shady spot at the back of the park looking into the scrub trees and grass. Cell phones barely work here, I get one radio station and of course there’s no television so it’s quite remote and quiet. I’ve barely read at all since starting the trip so I sat down under the shade tree this afternoon to read some more of On the Road. I must have sat there for 30 minutes without hearing any man-made sounds, just birds chirping and the breeze blowing. Absolutely wonderful.
After a while Sunny and I took about a mile walk to the river and back through the woods. Of course she went swimming in the river. Returned to camp and read some more before getting cleaned up and heading into town for dinner.
I stopped at this small family run place and had a great dinner. On the wall were some old pictures of Junction which I was looking at when the owner came by and started explaining them to me. Most were taken in the late 20’s or early 30’s. One was of a mountain lion someone had killed. I inquired about it and she said I needed to see the pictures of the one taken just outside town last fall. She had them at the counter. The cat was longer than a tailgate is wide. Weighed in at almost 150 pounds. And there’s more in these here hills!
Saw a hen turkey and another Black Buck Antelope. Returned to camp and grabbed to Sunny to take a walk to a scenic overlook near the campground before sunset. It was a paved road but parts of it were very steep. We took a side trip to see the park’s water tower then back towards the overlook. Finally we made it to the top and it was worth it. Good timing too and the sun was just going down.
After a break to cool down and snap some photos we headed back. Shortly down the trail we scared up another couple deer. A few hundred yard farther and we heard something off to the right, down the hill and slightly in front of us. Looking there I quickly realized it’s a wild boar. It starts snorting and scratching the ground. I know we do not want to tangle with this so I urge Sunny to just keep going. About then the boar took off away from us down the hill. Scaring up more deer. Sunny wanted nothing more than to go chasing after whatever that thing was that just ran away from us! All I could think about was mountain lions!
We made it back to the campground unscathed after seeing several more whitetails. Sat outside listening to the last of the birds for the evening, hearing a few turkey gobbles and waiting to the light of day was gone. Mosquito’s started showing up and we headed in for the night. Kept writing and reading till sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment