Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 24 - Falling Waters to DeFuniak Springs



Slept in. Many birds chirping on our morning walk. A little overcast and drizzling. Debated staying put for the day. Looked at other parks and found one in the Passport America book near DeFuniak Springs that sounded nice.
Called up and they had a spot available so I decided to head another hour west to the park. It’s on Jupiter Lake which, unbeknownst to me before arriving, is a 700 acre manmade lake known for its BIG bass. Very nice couple owns and operates the park. They offer WIFI, full hook ups, hot showers and laundry. The husband, Bill, met me at the entrance and helped back into a very nice spot with a concrete slab covered by a pavilion beside the trailer. Got set up and drained the blackwater tank for the first time. The gauge never registered even 1/3 full but I figured today is the 14th day on the road so it’s got to be time. All went well.
Walked Sunny around the campground and down to the lake. Set up bit torrent on my laptop and downloaded the 24 episode I missed Monday while in the swamp.
Met Donna, the wife of the ownership team, and their old dog. Her and Sunny got along well and wandered around off leash for a while. Sunny tested the limits a couple times and came back. Then she climbed a hill to another campsite and found some disgusting treat. I ran up and successfully pulled her away back towards our campsite. I continued talking and Sunny kept wandering. Not too long and she got on an scent. As before I called to her but this time was different. She heard me but was obviously going after the smell rather than coming back to me. Seeing this I started after her and hollered more sternly. Hearing this, she paused, looked back with a defiant glint in her eye, turned back on the scent and took off galloping. She only made it 75’ or so before getting hung up in brush which allowed me to catch up.
Taking her look as a hint it’s time for a walk and I better keep the leash on her, we jumped in the truck and drove around the lake to a small park and boat ramp call Cat Island. Took several sunset pictures here and headed to find the other boat ramp I saw online and grab some dinner. The second park area is nice and located at the dam. The park owners had both recommended the restaurant in the hotel downtown DeFuniak Springs so I headed that way. Looks like the restaurant is the only business in town open after 5 but the block of street parking seems pretty full. The place is surprisingly nice with great food and a couple guys playing acoustic guitars and singing. Headed back to campground after dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your adventure. i've always dreamed of doing something like that. I love driving through the U.S. I hope you stay off the freeways, because you cant see the true U.S. at 70mph. I like the 2 lane highways that wind through the little towns that used to prosper before interstates. They will also leed you away from applebees, chili's and etc and towards diners and small and pop places where you can meet some of the most interesting people. Roadfood.com may help you find interesting local restaurants. this site will take you to a map of all the places featured on diners dives and drive ins. http://www.flavortownusa.com/
    Oh by the way have you ever been to Bahia honda state park in the Keys. Beautiful place.
    Good Luck and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh by the way if you have a chance, travel route 1 in California the coastal highway. I traveled it from South Cali up throuh San Francisco and north. Beautiful drive.

    ReplyDelete