Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 22 - Tallahassee to Florida Caverns S.P.




Got up about 7:15 to Mother Nature’s treat of rain. Did basic breakdown then showered. Finished hooking up in the rain and pulled out about 9:30. Decided to head north rather than south since I’ve been seeing a lot of beaches already and the storm would be passed sooner if I went north.
Headed to the Florida Caverns State Park in Marianna. Found out tours are only given Thursday to Monday so I’m glad I came north. Was informed by a very nice and knowledgeable park ranger named Billy Bailey. Apparently the park is being reconstructed but permits have been held up. The plan is to add sewer hook ups throughout the camp and pave the access roads. They started tearing up the road and stopped so I was warned to go slow and avoid the potholes. As it turns out, that was an understatement. The old asphalt had been broken up into 1-2” pieces and graded out. Some areas were fine with a few potholes which could be avoided or gone slow through. A few areas though were so rough, uneven and full of holes that I rolled through at around 2 miles per hour. Finally made it to the dirt road of the campsite only to find the biggest potholes of the day making their home here. Backed right in first try.
Great site backing up to a floodplain area. Only one other campsite is occupied by four people and two dogs. They are in flight training school near here. Sunny and I went for a short walk and then set up camp. Quick sandwich then headed out for a big walk to tire Sunny out before heading to the cave tour. Near the end of the walk, we passed the Blue Hole which is a spring flowing a river full of water out. I later learned the hole is 90 feet deep, which is surprising since it is only 100 feet wide at most.
Sunny REALLY wanted to go swimming but, good thing, I felt the bank was too steep. Knowing we are in gator territory, I searched out the clearest spot I could find and let Sunny go in. Well not 5 seconds after she hits the water I see some new turbulence a few feet downstream so promptly coax (aka drag) her out of the water. All is well. Clean tired dog.
Very cool cave. Another big walk with Sunny, this time no swimming, and then some laundry and dinner. Lit a campfire and worked on journal. Neighbors all left. Jammed Gov’t Mule 10-23-95 outside for a while till I heard what I thought to be loud voices. Must have been owls but sounded like a pack of angry apes in the swamp. And getting closer. So the fire got stoked a little and the ‘voices’ got farther away and less frequent. It’s dark and serene. Saw some eyes peering at me around the time the fire was dying out so headed inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment